When you're a gun owner, you need to take extra precautions to keep your weapons secure at all times. One method to do that is to put a gun safely in your vehicle. However, placing a gun safe in your car can be tricky, especially if you've never done it before.
- Before buying a firearm safe for your vehicle, research the regulations and laws that govern the transportation of firearms
- Choose a vehicle safe that can hold your firearm and all of its accessories
- Consider accessibility, visibility, and stability when selecting a spot to install a gun safe
- The center console, between the seats, or underneath the seat are ideal places for safe gun storage
In this post, we’ll walk you through how to install a gun safe in your car—from selecting the correct safe to preparing your vehicle beforehand. Whether you’re a veteran gun owner or a newcomer, this article will help you maintain gun safety when on the road.
How to Install a Gun Safe in Your Car
Installing a car gun safe is one proven way to keep your firearms secure while on the road. A properly built gun safe can protect your firearms from theft and accidental firing, whether taking them to the range or traveling them for hunting or other purposes. Here are some things to think about before you begin the installation:
Choosing the Right Gun Safe for Your Car
There are several factors to consider while shopping for a firearm safe for your vehicle so that you can secure your firearm in a manner that is both legal and effective.
1. Types of Gun Safes
Most gun safes come in different features, each with its benefits and drawbacks. Here are a few of the most popular kinds of car gun safes:
- Portable lockboxes: It’s a compact and lightweight safe, perfect for car transport. Typically, they’re attached to a seat or other fixed position in the vehicle and constructed from steel
- Underseat safes: Under-the-seat safes are just what the name implies. You can secure them with a key, a combination, or even an electronic lock, and they’re built of steel.
- Center console safes: These safes slide into your car’s center console. Often, they’re made of steel and secured with a key, combination, or electronic lock.
2. Size and Weight Considerations
It’s crucial to consider how much room you have. So, consider the gun safe’s size and safe's weight while shopping for a gun safe for your vehicle. Choose a safe with adequate space for your firearm and all its accessories.
3. Legal Requirements and Restrictions
Check local regulations and laws regarding firearms transportation before buying a firearm safe for your vehicle. Concerning the storage and transport of firearms, some states have special laws. Do your homework before buying a firearm safe; some models may be illegal in your jurisdiction.
Preparing Your Car for Installation
To guarantee a secure firearm safe installation in your vehicle, it is vital to prepare the vehicle beforehand. Here are some recommendations for prepping your car:
1. Identifying the Best Location for the Gun Safe
Step one in installing gun safes in your vehicle is finding a suitable spot. Consider accessibility, visibility, and stability when selecting the spot. Choose a location that's convenient for you to get to when you need your gun, but not in plain sight of would-be wrong hands. It's also essential to find a spot supporting a solid setup.
2. Measuring the Space and Securing the Safe
After deciding where the safe will be most effective, take precise measurements to ensure it fits comfortably and safely. Measure the area's depth, height, and width, and then check the safe's specifications to ensure it will fit.
3. Choosing the Right Tools for the Job
Installing something requires the use of specific equipment. Securing the safe into place may require a socket set, screwdrivers, and other common hand tools.
You’ve selected a high-quality, secure safe, so you can now install the firearm safe.
Installing the Gun Safe
Start car gun safe installation after you have properly readied your vehicle. Here is how to install a firearm safe in your car:
- Check that the safe fits in the designated space by placing it there
- You can use a marker to show where to drill the safe’s holes into the surface
- Make pilot holes with the drill for the screws that will hold it
- After positioning the mounting bracket or cable above the screw pilot holes, tighten the screws
- Use a socket wrench or a screwdriver to tighten up the screws
- It is essential to regularly check the safe and make any required adjustments to keep it stable
- Check that the locking mechanism is operating properly by testing it
Tips for achieving a reliable installation:
- Carefully refer to the manual provided by the manufacturer
- Use a steel cable or mounting bracket, which is ideal for vehicles
- Choose a spot that can guarantee a safe installation
- Ensure that you anchor the safe to the car.
- You can add a GPS tracking device to make your safe even more secure.
Can You Put a Gun Safe in Your Car?
Yes, you can put a gun safe in your car. You can keep the safe in the trunk or any other area with enough room.
Can You Store Guns and Ammo Together in a Car?
Yes, you can store guns and ammo together in a car. However, you must store unloaded firearms and ammo in the trunk or a lockable container, never in the glove compartment or center console. Also, remember to carry copies of any necessary permits and licenses to prove gun ownership.
Where Do You Lock a Gun Safe in a Car?
You can lock a gun safe in the center console, between the seats, or underneath the driver’s seat. You can also install gun safes in the trunk if you don’t have a convenient spot up front.
What Happens if You Lose the Key to the Gun Safe?
If you lose the key to the gun safe, you can request a replacement key from the safe’s manufacturer. Plus, a locksmith can always come in handy.