Are you in the market for a 1911 pistol? If so, you may be wondering if Kimber is a good brand to buy from. Kimber 1911s are among the most popular pistols on the market today. They're known for their reliability, accuracy, and craftsmanship.
In our Kimber 1911 review, we'll look at some of the pros and cons of owning a Kimber 1911. Whether you're a seasoned firearms enthusiast or just getting started, this information will help you decide whether or not a Kimber is right for you. So, without further ado, let's get started.
What is Kimber 1911?
Kimber 1911 is a brand of semi-automatic pistols. They are manufactured by Kimber Manufacturing, an American company founded in 1979. The company is headquartered in Yonkers, New York.
Kimber pistols are modeled after the original M1911 pistol designed by John Browning. They are available in a variety of finishes, calibers, and sizes. Some of the most popular Kimber 1911 models include the Kimber Custom II, the Kimber Pro Carry II, and the Stainless Target II.
How it Works
The Kimber 1911 is a recoil spring-operated, semi-automatic pistol. It uses a single-action trigger system. It means that the hammer must be cocked manually before each shot.
A detachable Kimber mags feed the gun. This 1911 typically holds 7 or 8 rounds of ammunition. The magazine is inserted into the grip of the pistol.
Once the magazine is in place, the gun is ready to fire. To do so, pull the trigger. The gun will fire one round with each pull of the trigger until the magazine is empty.
When the last round in the magazine has been fired, the stainless steel slide will lock back into place. It alerts the shooter that the gun needs to be reloaded.
Insert the spare mags into the grip and release the slide lock to reload the gun. The gun is now ready to fire again.
Kimber 1911: Technical Specs
- Caliber: .45 ACP
- Barrel Bushing Length: 5 inches
- Overall Length: 8.7 inches
- Weight: 39 ounces
- Capacity: 7+1 rounds
- Finish: Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Two-Tone
- Sights: Night sights (standard), Fiber optic (optional)
- Grips: G10, wood, rubber
- Frame: Steel, aluminum
- Slide: Steel
What are the Features of a Kimber 1911 Gun?
The features of a Kimber 1911 vary depending on the model you choose. However, all Kimber 1911s share some common features. These include:
- Single-action trigger system for a lighter, smoother trigger pull
- Manual thumb safety and grip safety for added security
- Beavertail grip safety for enhanced comfort and control
- Extended magazine release for easy reloading
- Match-grade barrel and bushing for increased accuracy
- Fully adjustable target sights for a customized sight picture
Kimber 1911: Customization Options
One of the great things I love about Kimber 1911s is that these 1911 handguns are highly customizable. There are a variety of aftermarket parts and accessories available for these non-plastic guns. As a result, you can easily modify your gun to suit your specific needs and preferences.
Some of the most popular customization options for Kimber 1911s include:
Grips: You can enhance the comfort, control, and style of your gun by simply changing out the grips. Take, for instance, the timeless caliber .45 ACP. I decided to upgrade its rosewood grips to the sleek crimson trace laser grips in black. The transformation was remarkable. Not only does it maintain its breathtaking appeal, but it has also proven to be incredibly dependable. While it may not be an Ed Brown or a Wilson Combat, it stands as my finest 1911 to date, as I encountered zero issues with its performance.
Sights: You can enhance your aiming accuracy by installing new sights on your gun. Speaking from personal experience, my Kimber has proven to be both highly reliable and incredibly accurate. Although I did encounter some problems with the stock magazine after a year of use, it's worth noting that the gun itself remains in perfect condition. Similarly, as someone who recently purchased the same pistol, I can attest to its exceptional accuracy and flawless performance during the initial 500 rounds. Without hesitation, I wholeheartedly recommend the Kimber 1911, as I have nothing but praise for its remarkable qualities.
Barrel: You can enhance the accuracy and alter the caliber of your beloved Kimber 1911 by installing a new barrel. Despite the stock magazine experiencing some issues after a year, the gun itself remains in flawless condition, boasting remarkable velocity and consistent recoil.
Trigger: Installing a new trigger can improve the trigger pull on your gun. Kimber's 1911 pistols are globally renowned for their smooth triggers, iconic design, and exceptional precision. I recently purchased a Kimber 1911, the 3" Ultra CDP model, and it has exceeded my expectations. With five Kimber magazines, I have encountered zero issues with the firearm or magazines. This well-crafted and accurate pistol is truly a standout. Notably, the 1911 platform's best feature is its excellent trigger.
Frame: You can enhance your firearm by installing a new frame, allowing you to modify its size, weight, and color. This upgrade not only improves the overall shooting experience but also enhances precision through the optimized barrel lengths. Moreover, the incorporation of an aluminum frame helps absorb recoil, ensuring that the gun remains lightweight and comfortable to handle during firing.
Kimber 1911 Safety Features
The Kimber 1911 comes with several safety features. These include:
- A thumb safety that prevents the gun from being fired unless it is engaged
- A grip safety that must be depressed for the gun to be fired
- A magazine disconnect safety prevents the gun from being fired when the magazine, e.g., Wilson combat magazines, are not inserted
These safety features make the Kimber 1911 a safe and reliable carry gun.
What are the Pros of Owning a Kimber 1911?
There are many pros to owning a Kimber in 1911.
- They're extremely reliable pistols. One of the most important things to consider when purchasing a firearm is reliability. You want to be sure that your gun will fire when you need it to. Kimber 1911s are known for their reliability. They're often carried by law enforcement and military personnel.
- They're Accurate Pistols. Accuracy is an important consideration when purchasing a firearm. You want to be sure that you can hit your target, whether shooting for sport or self-defense. Kimber 1911s are incredibly accurate pistols. They're also easy to shoot, thanks to their low recoil.
- They're Well-Made Pistols. Kimber 1911s are known for their craftsmanship. They're made with high-quality materials and are built to last. Each pistol is hand-assembled to ensure that it meets the highest quality standards.
- They're available in a variety of finishes, Calibers, and Sizes. One of the great things about Kimber 1911s is that they're available in various finishes, calibers, and sizes. It allows you to find the perfect pistol for your needs.
The Cons of Owning a Kimber 1911?
There are a few cons to owning a Kimber 1911.
- They're pricey pistols. One of the biggest drawbacks of owning a Kimber 1911 is the price tag. They're not cheap guns. However, you get what you pay for. You're getting a high-quality, reliable, and accurate pistol when you purchase a Kimber.
- They're not suitable for everyone. Another con of owning a Kimber 1911 is that they're not suitable for everyone. If you're not experienced with firearms or don't have a good understanding of gun safety, then a Kimber 1911 is probably not the right pistol for you.
How to Choose a Kimber 1911
If you're considering purchasing a Kimber 1911, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Use the following tips to help you choose the right Kimber 1911 for you.
The gun's performance is the most crucial factor to consider while buying a gun. The Kimber 1911 is an accurate and reliable pistol. It can fire up to 7 rounds in a single magazine. In addition, the frame of the gun is made of stainless steel, which makes it sturdy and durable.
The gun has a beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, and commander-style hammer. The trigger pull is around 4-5 pounds. The gun also comes with night sights.
The Kimber 1911 is a great choice for self or home defense, target shooting, and competitive shooting. As a result, it is one of the most popular handguns today.
Consider Your Needs
First and foremost, you need to consider your needs. What are you going to be using the pistol for? If you're looking for a gun for self-defense, then you'll want to choose a model that's easy to conceal. If you're looking for a 1911 gun for target shooting, you'll want to choose an accurate 1911 model. Consider what you need the gun for before making your purchase.
Research the Different Models
Once you know what you need the gun for, you can research the different models. Read the gun review, watch videos, and compare specs. There are a lot of different Kimber 1911 models to choose from - see other 1911 reviews - so you want to be sure that you're choosing the right one for you.
Consider Your Budget
Kimber 1911s are not cheap guns. They range in price from around $700 to over $2000. So be sure to factor the price into your decision. Choose a gun within your budget, but don't sacrifice quality for the price.
Consider Your Experience Level
If you're a beginner shooter, you'll want to choose an easy model to use. Look for a model that has low recoil and is easy to operate. If you are experienced with firearms, you'll have more leeway in your choice.
Q. Are Kimber 1911s any good?
A. Kimber 1911s are some of the best pistols on the market. You're getting a high-quality, reliable, and accurate pistol when you purchase a Kimber.
Q. Is a Kimber 1911 worth the money?
A. Kimber 1911s are not cheap guns. They range in price from around $700 to over $2000. Be sure to factor the price into your decision. Choose a gun within your budget, but don't sacrifice quality for the price.
Q. Is Kimber a quality gun?
A. Yes, Kimber is a quality gun. They are well-made and offer great performance. Also, Kimber has a great reputation for customer service.
Q. What are the different types of Kimber 1911s?
A. There are a variety of different types of Kimber 1911s. They come in different finishes, calibers, and sizes. It allows you to find the perfect pistol for your needs.
Q. How many rounds does it take to break in a Kimber 1911?
A. The Kimber 1911 requires 400 to 500 rounds for the break-in period. It is recommended that you use full metal jacket rounds for the break-in period.
So, Why Kimber 1911?
The Kimber 1911 is a great firearm that offers accuracy, reliability, and a comfortable grip. Its user-friendly design makes it an excellent choice for newcomers to the world of firearms.
Whether you're in need of a reliable self-defense weapon, enjoy target shooting, or participate in competition shooting, the Kimber 1911 excels in all areas. This versatile concealed carry option is equally suited for range practice and protecting yourself.
Don't overlook the Kimber 1911 when considering your next firearm purchase. It has received glowing reviews from satisfied owners who have experienced zero malfunctions and appreciated its durability, even after firing thousands of rounds.
With its attractive design and flawless performance, the Kimber 1911 is a reliable and aesthetically pleasing choice for any gun enthusiast.